Tuesday, April 21, 2009

In Bruges - the movie, the score.

(cover art from Amazon)

This time I try to explicit my opinion.
(it's kinda hard)
Of course, still rubbish.

A tragedy disguised as comedy, even though it's an unusual comedy, I watched it with insane and hysterical laughter despite its not really funny at all. 'Cause I'm fucking shallow moron.

Yes, I can't agree more the tragic elements full of In Bruges. This movie is so sad happened in a wonderful place, just like one of the character said "a fairytale town".

Well...I don't feel the way Waters and Ken(film character) feels, I don't feel the fairytale in Bruges of Belgium, I felt more Gothic.
(Waters also mentioned of the Gothic church and buildings in Bruges, and Ken had also visited the church and buildings that are so Gothic. I think it is culture shock, like what I know about fairytale is a no Gothic style background but full of pink and all good-well society. That's my ideal fucking fairytale. But the fact seems like fairytale has a Gothic background.)

Anyway, I like Ken, played by Brendan Gleeson, an Irish actor who also stared in films such as Harry Potter (as'Mad-­Eye' Moody), and some fatherly characters(included In Burges.)
First thing about Ken is that he loves culture, he love Burges ,he love old things, Gothic style buildings and he respect Christian symbolized stuff.
Although he like it based on mythical reason.

And most of all he respects lives, even though with a hit-man background but you can understand his mind through all the detail that shows in this movie, that this man, Ken is such a person killing for money and not in his own well but he's kinda numb something. But when he get to Bruges he knows what he did and introspection.

At Ken's final moment, for his noble behavior, that almost made me in tears.
(also the notable song which I updated at the bottom)
And then he fell, the aftermath was a saddest and terrified scene.
I never thought a person hits the ground from a high place can be separate into pieces.
Ken did (and he did not even dead), and it widen my thoughts that it could happened when a person hits ground, not only bent body or break bones, organs but also break into pieces, plus might still alive.

About the end, I wish Ray can survive, Ken died for him after all.

Carter Burwell composed the music. I don't know him before.
This is my first time hear his work and I love it.
Main theme is great clean piano makes a gray and sad world makes this movie absolutely a tragedy.
For the whale score is one masterpiece recording soundtrack I've ever heard.
All instruments were recorded so clear, Piano, Bass and others makes perfectly combination.

Spike Jonze's forthcoming movie "Where the Wild Things Are" will also feature Carter's work( according to official announcement the recording is in progress) and song from Yeah Yeah Yeahs! vocalist Karen O.

P.S.
There is one thing to emphasis that Ken's death theme is...
"On Raglan Road"
Written by Patrick Kavanagh
Arranged & Performed by The Dubliners

Awesome Song.

No comments: